Insect bites are a very common cause of over the counter consultations in pharmacy. Some bites last for minutes, some for an hour or two, but those that last longer are an allergy, and should be treated as such. Apart from biting insects irritating most of us at some time, the enjoyment of holidays can be seriously affected if bites and stings are not treated quickly and effectively. Treating symptoms with itch relieving local anaesthetic creams (eg Lignocaine ), while helpful, is not treating the cause of continual itch or discomfort—the allergy itself. Adding an itch reliever to a non sedating (non sleepy) anti allergy tablet or mixture is the optimal way to treat these little annoyances.